// About IMT Group
A HISTORY OF PROGRESS THAT BEGAN IN 1914 AND CONTINUES TO BE WRITTEN
In 1914, Ingersoll Machine & Tool was founded by E.A. Wilson in a small factory originally intended for soap production. This marked the beginning of a journey marked by passion, commitment, innovation, integrity, and growth that has spanned over a century.
Initially, Ingersoll Machine & Tool focused on manufacturing steering gear assemblies for boats and cars. By the 1930s, the company had become the sole producer of steering gear assemblies for several Canadian-built cars, including models by Ford, Mercury, Dodge, Chrysler, DeSoto, Plymouth, Hudson, and Nash.
Driven by a passion for excellence and fueled by the success it generated, the company expanded rapidly. In 1947, IMT became a publicly listed company on the Toronto Stock Exchange, marking a significant turning point in its growth trajectory.
In 1970, Ivaco acquired a majority stake in IMT, providing the company with the resources for major expansion. In 1981, IMT was awarded a 10-year, $100 million federal contract to produce large caliber ammunition shells, which allowed the company to acquire PC Forge and build a large new manufacturing complex in collaboration with the City of Ingersoll the following year. In 2020 IMT was fully acquired by the Hacking family.
IMT’s continued growth was characterized by innovation and diversification, enabling the company to meet the needs of customers in the transportation, OEM, and Defence industries worldwide. IMT’s history is one of success and achievements, and the company is committed to continuing this legacy in the years to come.